Wednesday, March 22, 2006

at 8


I remember being sure that I was beautiful. I remember being oblivious to whether I was the right height, and weight. I remember knowing I was the perfect shade of soft soil brown. I remember loving a cool dapper mama’s boy named James. I remember calling out “daddy!” I remember him smiling wide in reply. I remember motorcycles and women loving my father – women that weren’t my mother - as much as I did. I remember being tiny in long, shiny cars with big wide seats. I remember the yucky, loving act of my father licking his thumb and wiping my cheek. I remember words like “baby girl” and “hey there” falling like now & laters from my father’s lips. I remember “give daddy some shuga” meeting me in the air just above his head. I remember going home and not being able to wait to see him again. I remember the heat of an August morning. I remember Fair Oaks Avenue. I remember a sea of grey-blue carpeting. I remember a cool new boys club. I remember silence despite the sound. I remember a boy I thought I liked. I remember his sandy brown face and “good hair”. I remember his eyes too big and wild with excitement. I remember his voice screaming “did your daddy kill somebody?!” I remember being shocked. I remember walking past him (refusing to look back) and wondering how I ever liked him. I remember another boy. I remember this other boy being his brother, maybe. I remember him racing right up to my nose. I remember his voice. “your daddy was drunk and kilt this dude last night!” I remember spinning, but only my head. I remember wanting the spinning to stop. I remember wanting to disappear. I remember wanting my mommy. I remember wanting to cry. I remember not crying. I remember the loud crinkly sound of the newspaper. I remember it being shuffled too close to my face. I remember voices shouting “look! look!” I remember looking. I remember reading. I remember thinking dead, dead, dead, next to Jackson was wrong. Dead next to Jackson was bad. Dead next to Jackson was true. I remember knowing that anything in the newspaper was right. I remember being so confused. I remember the crowd around me growing big. I remember growing small. I remember wanting to call my mother. I remember wanting to disappear. I remember wanting to fight the tears. I remember a grown-up rescuing me. I remember thinking it was too late. I remember pleading to call my mother. I remember knowing that if she came there, it would mean everything had changed.

16 Comments:

Blogger bobbie said...

oh this is gut-wrenching, you've written it so well. it's haunting and like a scene from a movie, it took me there.

i am so sorry for their ignorance. how very sad you had to face all of that by yourself on those tiny beautiful shoulders.

thank you for sharing your history with me. i will treasure it.

1:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU are a writer. thank you so much for visiting my space and leading me back to yours. i know so very much about "finally getting free."

hope to "see" you again,

angel

3:26 AM  
Blogger BK said...

thanks for visiting my space.. I was intrigued by your story.. this is very good.. do you plan to publish or are you just writing for "therapy"...

I'll be sure to swing back through and catch up...

peace & blessings..
BK

4:50 AM  
Blogger A Girl Again said...

I thank all of you for walking with me. This has been a rather eye-opening experience as I have not visited these memories in many years.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Stephen A. Bess said...

That was very good! I really enjoy your writing! Fantastic! It had rhythm to it like a locomotive and I could feel the momentum of it increasing. Very intense, good writing.

11:36 AM  
Blogger A Girl Again said...

Thank you Stephen. It is kind of wierd to see my childhood in front of me so starkly. Surreal but helpfull at the same time.

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ow. hate being so redunant but that was beautifully written. thank you for sharing sounds so trite but i mean it.

12:02 PM  
Blogger A Girl Again said...

thank you Janine for taking the time to say it. It is appreciated.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Hope said...

Your writing is haunting and beautiful. It's going to be a blessing journeying with you.

2:29 PM  
Blogger A Girl Again said...

Hope, thank you for being here and offering kind words and support.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Soulfull said...

Thanks again for your kind words in my blog. Reading your latest entry was quite surreal. Your words put me right in the middle of that crowd that was surrounding you that fateful day. I admire your strength and the depth to which you take your writings.

5:45 PM  
Blogger All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

Good hair, you killing me - sound like my grand ma - nice blog

9:22 AM  
Blogger A Girl Again said...

LOL!

Mr. Stephens, now you know that was a legitimate delineation back in ‘83

9:31 AM  
Blogger Andromeda Jazmon said...

What a beautiful way to tell a heart breaking story. Tears and hugs for you, sweet girl.

5:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

someone need to let you know you are still beautiful sis.

9:23 PM  
Blogger upwords said...

You are still beautiful and so is your writing. Can't wait to hold this book in my hands.

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home