Thursday, March 16, 2006

remembering a soledad song

Just now, I’m driving home from Dominos, getting pizza for dinner because my nerves are too bad to cook, and I hear it. That smoky tone; a strange mix of playful and dead serious, and I am overwhelmed. I am thrown back to that visiting room so many years ago, (too much time having passed yet again) watching him walk towards me, tall and beautiful brown. Although I am thrown off briefly by how much he has aged, I am stung with a child’s disbelief which is surely plastered all over my face. A great big smile is on his. He approaches me slowly. Pauses. And says it. “Hey baby girl, how you doin’?”

If I wasn’t in my car, my daughter strapped in the rear in a car seat, I would have allowed myself to black-out on the Avenue from the sheer bliss of remembering the sound.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Sonflower said...

I am encouraged by your strength.

I believe that there is no mountain that you can not climb.

You continue to amaze me.

12:31 AM  
Blogger A Girl Again said...

Thank you baby.

6:53 AM  
Blogger the prisoner's wife said...

i have to agree with alex.

8:52 AM  
Blogger upwords said...

Yeah. You got me crying again you know, sliding back through a curtain of beads, a fog of incense. He is there, with Africa all over him, with the world in his smile. He lifts me of the counter with sure, brown hands and we go, without a word.

Keep your song. Find a place, a time every now and then to go blank and sing it.

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home